I Thought She Retired?

When Barbara Walters said that she was retiring from TV, there wasn't a person alive that believed her.

Walters is coming out of "retirement" for the third or fourth time for another ABC special "Barbara Walters Presents: The 10 Most Fascinating People of 2014."

Walters claimed when she retired that she was done with doing "Most Fascinating People" specials, but she lied.

"I was absolutely delighted when ABC approached me to do another year of '10 Most Fascinating People,' " Walters said in a statement. "I know we said last year was our last, but there are just too many fascinating people out there. ... and you never pass up the opportunity to interview Oprah, Neil, Chelsea or Scarlett."

And obviously you never pass up the chance to see your face on TV again.

The special will air December 14th at 9PM. 

CNN Falls From Dish

While CNN is laying off errrr reshaping staffers, they used to be cable news network is also losing viewers.

CNN and a number of other Turner networks have fallen off Dish Network as the two sides enter into a retrans pissing match.

Viewers tuning into Channel 200 on Dish Network to watch CNN this morning, got MSNBC's Morning Joe Instead.

“It’s unfortunate that Dish is once again operating in a disruptive manner that takes away networks and programming from their customers,” a Turner spokesperson says.

Ummmm....

Sunday, Denver Broncos Quarterback Peyton Manning broke the all time record for touchdown passes in the NFL.

KOMO in Seattle ran the story and included a picture of Payton....problem was it was Gary Payton and not Peyton Manning.

First off, Peyton and Payton spell their names differently. Secondly, Manning plays in the NFL, while Gary Payton played in the NBA, totally different sport.

And lastly, Peyton Manning is white and Gary Payton is black.

So, as you can see it was a simple mistake that anyone could have made.

NOT!

NBC's New Credibility Problem

A trip to a local restaurant could have a huge impact on the career of NBC medical Correspondent Dr. Nancy Snyderman. 

Snyderman's quarantine against possible Ebola exposure ends this week but her troubles might just be beginning.

It was reported that Snyderman broke a voluntary quarantine by going to a local restaurant and combined with a curiously imprecise explanation, unleashed a furious response.

The AP reports that NBC must now decide whether Snyderman's credibility is too damaged for her to continue reporting on Ebola or other medical issues and, if so, for how long. The network would not comment.

Snyderman's "arrogance and dismissiveness" create a huge PR and credibility problem for NBC, said Kelly McBride, an expert on ethics for the journalism think tank the Poynter Institute.

"People are so freaked out about Ebola that the problem NBC has now is that whenever they put her on the air, some news consumers are going to see the woman who put others at risk, rather than the reporter and professional with great experience," McBride said.

McBride suggested that Snyderman "lay low" or take a leave of absence. Certainly she should not report on Ebola anymore for the network, she said.

Stay tuned..... 

H/T AP

NABJ President: CNN is Calling me a Liar

Yesterday, FTVLive told you that after the NABJ made critical comments about CNN's treatment and lack on black employees, the NABJ said the network cut off funding. 

NABJ said that The cable news network withdrew their financial support of the NABJ's 2015 Convention and Career Fair.

After FTVLive posted the story, CNN responded with their own statement: “Following NABJ’s recent comments about CNN, we informed them we were reconsidering our relationship, but we were clear that we had not made a final decision. It’s surprising to us that they would choose to make such a statement.”

So: Butler says that the network had definitively withdrawn support; CNN says not quite. “They’re basically calling me a liar,” said to the Washington Post. “That’s very disturbing.”

So CNN is now calling the NABJ President a liar, but the problem is much deeper than that.

As the Post points out, that critical press release and NABJ’s proposal to CNN for the 2015 annual convention hit CNN at about the same time, according to Butler. Therein lies a core conflict in what NABJ — and other journalism-diversity groups, for that matter — does from day to day.

On the one hand, it monitors how well newsrooms embrace diversity; on the other, it pitches those same newsrooms to ante up for convention space and other stuff. Have a look at the 2014 convention program book with a nice full-page ad from CNN proclaiming, “CNN proudly supports the National Association of Black Journalists.” Says Butler: “They’re a corporate partner like many other companies are. We have relationships with CNN, with Fox News, CBS, NBC, ABC — those are all partners within NABJ.”

So, while the NABJ is issuing critical statements against CNN, they are also asking them for money. In a way, you really can't blame CNN for telling them "no".

But, they don't need to lie about it.

Just saying.... 

CNN Blames President for Poor "Messaging" on Ebola

Despite the fact that CNN has gone all missing plane on ebola, yesterday Wolf Blitzer said the blame for the ebola panic in the US belongs on the White House.

"Ebola has certainly eroded the confidence in the way the Obama administration and medical professionals have handled it. It requires a delicate balancing act between telling people the hard facts without overly scaring.,' Blitzer said.

Again, I will repeat the facts, there are 316 million people in the United States, of those people, only 2 have contracted ebola in this country. Both people are nurses that were working very closely with an ebola patient in a hospital that didn't really know what they were doing.

The panic and the scaring that Wolf Blitzer is talking about comes not from the White House, but comes from a media that is obsessed (for the moment) on ebola.

We agree that "poor messaging" is the problem, but don't look to Washington, just flip on your TV. 

There was No Reshaping at ABC News in 2010

CNN's Brian Stelter says that CNN's recent massive cuts are more about "reshaping" than there are about layoffs.

Back in 2010, ABC News was undergoing a big round of cuts as well. The network was getting rid of 400 jobs and then New York Times Media Critic Brian Stelter wrote about the cuts.

At the time Stelter wrote in his Times piece, "More than 300 employees were approved for buyout packages. An unknown number were laid off. A person with knowledge of the cutbacks said 22 staff employees were laid off on Tuesday in a final round of cuts, but ABC would not disclose the numbers. Morale is very low, according to some of the dozen ABC News staff members who agreed to be interviewed for this article. Most spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized by ABC to speak publicly."

Guess when the same thing happened 4 years later at CNN, it had somehow become "reshaping."

Another One Leaves Fox San Antonio Station

Last one to leave Fox Affiliate KABB in San Antonio, could you please get the lights.

In the last five months, five well-known news names have departed the local Fox affiliate. The biggest shocker was the sudden exit last month by chief anchorman Michael Valdes, who was a 20-year KABB veteran.

Now, the San Antonio Express News reports that  No. 6 is on her way out the door, and others who may follow suit. 

After 12 years with KABB, Sylvia Rincona popular, versatile reporter and fill-in morning anchor, said she has accepted the position of director of communications at Southside Independent School District. Her last day at KABB will be Nov. 6.

It's an amazing opportunity, she said, and well-timed.

“There’s a lot of change going on,” she said. “A lot of my friends have left. It’s not just at KABB. The whole industry is in flux, as you know.”

Stay tuned.... 

Jumping Across the Street in Chi-Town

It appears that former WMAQ Weather Anchor Cheryl Scott, maybe setting up shop across the street at WLS.

Robert Feder says that Scott is close to accepting an offer from WLS-Channel 7, where she eventually would succeed longtime weather Anchor Jerry Taft as the station’s top meteorologist.

Finalizing the deal has been delayed by Scott’s former employer, WMAQ-Channel 5,which could exercise its right to match ABC 7’s offer, raising the slim possibility that she would return to the NBC-owned station.

But insiders said they don’t expect that to happen.

Suing Texas Weather Crosses the Street

Back in December, FTVLive told you about Bob French, a Chief Meteorologist employed by KBTX in Bryan and College Station for 23 years.

French filed a charge of Age and Disability Discrimination as well as Retaliation with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) and the Texas Workforce Commission (TWC).

French claims he was overworked during the Christmas and New Year’s holidays of 2012 while other much younger employees were allowed time off.

Now, word comes that KAGS in the same market has hired French as their Chief Meteorologist.

"The Brazos Valley has been my home since 1990,” Bob French said. “I am so blessed that I can serve the residents here with my passion for weather and experience in forecasting."

“We are excited to have Bob on our team,” KAGS News Director Luke Simons said. “Bob is not only a great meteorologist, but a great person that truly loves this area.”

Here's some advice to Luke, don't have Bob work on Christmas or New Year's.

Just saying.... 

Indy Weather Anchor Headed to Bean Town

WISH (Indianapolis) meteorologist Pamela Gardner is leaving the station after the November book and headed to Boston.

Gardner is headed to WBZ.

Ever since it was announced that WISH is losing CBS affiliation, resumes have been flying out of the station. 

WISH News Director Steve Bray notified the staff by email on Sunday of Gardner’s departure.

Gardner joined WISH in November 2011. Before that, she was the morning meteorologist for WTHI-TV in Terre Haute.

H/T Indianapolis Business Journal 

Shuffling the Anchors in NOLA

Yesterday, FTVLive FIRST told you that WDSU in New Orleans is shifting some Anchors around at the start of the November book.

FTVLive FIRST told you back in July that Charles Divinswas leaving The Daily Buzz for what he said was a job offer he "could not turn down."

Divins will be joining Randi Rousseau as an anchor of WDSU's morning-news block starting October 27th. 

Here is the internal memo that was sent out to the staff from News Director Jonathan Shelley and obtained by FTVLive:

All,

Many of you have already gotten to know Charles Divins as he has become familiar with his new home town and his new team, here at WDSU. This afternoon, we are distributing the attached news release, announcing that Charles will debut as co-anchor of WDSU News This Morning on Monday, Oct. 27. That same day, I’m pleased to note that Sula Kim will assume co-anchor duties on WDSU News at 4 pm alongside Camille Whitworth. Scott Walker, who took on an additional anchor role temporarily earlier this year (with the retirement of Norman Robinson), will anchor the 5, 6 and 10 pm newscasts.

It’s an exciting time to be part of the best news operation in New Orleans. We are looking forward to a great November sweeps.

Jonathan